Friday, January 23, 2009

Candy Buttons


I love candy, but I was a little stumped when I sat down to write my very first CandyBlog. So many possibilities! And it had to be great! It had to be truly inspired! It had to knock your socks off! So I started surfing the net in search of inspiration, and that's when I found it. So beautiful in its simplicity - classic, but oddly post-modern. That's right! I'm talking about Candy Buttons, folks!

Candy buttons are small rounded pegs of candy (almost pure sugar, I believe) that are attached to a strip of paper. The three flavors on each strip are cherry, lime and lemon. Originally owned by the Cumberland Valley Company, they are now manufactured by NECCO, who produces 3/4 billion Candy Buttons a year. 

What I remember about Candy Buttons is that they were cheap and would supply us kids with a steady stream of sugar all day long, much to our parents' chagrin. We always bought them at Buford's Candy Store in Ocean Beach, and when Buford closed his doors, I thought they were lost to me forever. But they're not! I recently discovered them at North Park Vaudeville and Candy Shop, and the wonderful magic of Candy Buttons was back!

But, while I thought that Candy Buttons were only good for eating, I was so wrong! The folks over at Nylon Magazine have given them a whole new use - fashion! I give you the Candy Button Dress! Perfect for your next... I'll let you decide what it's perfect for.




















Yes, Candy Buttons are truly a multi-purpose candy, and the perfect way to kick off the CandyGirl Blog!

4 comments:

  1. I think that iff my coat had candy buttons I would first eat the bottom button, it's never used, then the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. The candy buttons bring back wonderful memories. Wish I had thought to make a dress of them!
    Joan...from class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! @Joan .. yes, it sent a flood of happy memories for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time.Buy Twitter Followers

    ReplyDelete